Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Subtracting + Adding = A better person! {LENT}

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you. 
1 Peter 5:6
Hi all!
So for those of you that are 'religious' you should be aware that yesterday was 'Shrove Tuesday' (or Pancake day or Fat Tuesday) this Tuesday marks the day before Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent. For those who don't know what 'Shrove Tuesday' is, it is the day before the start of Lent where people would use up their 'rich foods' to start a period of fasting. (There is a lot more technical history to it, but I doubt you all want to read about it!) 
In todays world it's more about eating pancakes and forgiveness. Shrove is basically defined as confessing sins to a Priest. We can translate that now as admitting our sins to God and asking for forgiveness and also being forgiving towards others. I must admit I found the forgiving part a little hard, I am so hurt by someone at the moment (the same person who always hurts me) I find it hard to forgive her, but I have. I have forgiven her, but I absolutely will not forget what she has done or the pain she is constantly causing me. Every other negative person in my life I just have stopped caring for, I have forgiven them but in no way at all can I ever forget what people have done to me. But really I don't care for most of the other people, but that one person I wish could change her actions, but I have no control over her or what she does, so I have to forgive her, accept what she is doing and just let her go. I understand that God forgives me each time I may sin so who am I to really condemn someone, at the end of the day that is up to God, not me. But that being said, I can still be hurt by her and feel let down but I am just not going to let it consume my life!
Anyway, moving on...
So after Shrove Tuesday comes Ash Wednesday which marks the start of Lent for 2012. Lent is the period of 40 week days before Holy Thursday (the day before Good Friday). So for Lent it is common to give up something to symbolise the sacrifice Jesus made for us. Traditionally it was rich foods and meat, so people would fast the period of Lent. But today it can be anything, alcohol, chocolate, social media etc. This year I have to admit I was struggling to think of something to give up, last year I did swearing and I think I went well. So this year I wanted to do something new, I can't really give up alcohol because to be quiet honest I rarely drink anymore unless I go out to lunch/dinner with Trent and even then it's like 1 glass of wine or something similar. And I don't think I am mentally strong enough to give up all my social media accounts, I was considering shutting down my Facebook but I really love being able to show my Mum photos and stuff. So I decided to give up procrastination & stress! I am a huge procrastinator, especially now thanks to Pinterest! And well with the stress thing, I just am terrible at not letting things get to me. So I am trying to stress less! And I have kicked off my first day well, I spoke to my Mum this morning and said I wanted to wash my bed sheets today but I wasn't going to incase it rained & I was tired (pretty much just excuses), she then pointed out that is procrastinating (putting it off for another day). So I did it, I thought Jesus didn't put off going into the desert so I will not put off washing my sheets! Odd comparison, I know. And I am also writing this blog which means I didn't put this off either! I haven't stressed out much today, I am working on being calm. :)
And my things to improve on (and add positively to my life) for Lent are to spend more quality time with Trent and let him know he is appreciated more often, be a better wife, daughter & sister, blog more, be more thankful and stay positive. 
Giving up something for Lent is symbolic to the sacrifice that Jesus made for us and the 40 days and nights he spent in the desert and teaches us to practice self discipline. I think it is something wonderful to do and a good way to start positive habits in life. The things we try to give up for Lent should be things that can negatively effect our lives and the things we add to our lives should be things to make us a better person. (I hope that explanation is simple enough to understand, I know some topics in religion can be kind of confusing!) 
I believe all the things I have picked are positive and will help me become a better person! 
What have you decided to give up and add for Lent? Even if you aren't religious* this could be a good time to say I will cut back on soft drink, alcohol, sugar, negativity etc for 40 days and then try to continue it on past the 40 day point. There are so many possibilities and this is just a good chance to do something positive for yourself. 


I hope you all found this blog informative and inspiring!
Love you all.
XoXo.
B.


* I hope this blog wasn't offensive to any of my readers that may not believe in God or celebrate Lent. This blog was not created to offend people, this is just my belief and I was trying to explain what was on my mind today and help others to understand this time of year. I hope you all understand that, also I know and understand there is a lot more detail to this time of year and I am sorry if you feel I have left anything important out, I didn't want to drag this topic out and make this post feel like I was preaching my religion. I kept the facts short and straight to the point. I wanted to make this post simple and short so some of my readers who wish to be more informed about Lent could quickly understand the basic meaning of it and how I feel about it. If you have anything positive to add or wish to add something important I may have left out please feel free to post it as a comment below or leave a comment on my Facebook page for others to read!
Thank you for understanding and reading!
x.B.

8 comments:

  1. I gave up self negativity. Sounds like a weird thing, but it's something I need to do. 40 Days of positive, it's worth a try =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good one! I am trying something similar with adding positivity to my life! Let's try this 40 days of positivity together! Good luck <3 x

      Delete
  2. When you forgive someone, is the main part of the whole process is to forget and move on from what was the main issue. I understand that it is hard to forget these things, but i believe that if you are still hurt by them then you arent ready to forgive. Forgiveness, is something that will help you prevale in life, it will make you strong as a person and it will give you an understanding of how little our sacrifice you are making compared to the on Jesus made for us.
    May God Have Mercy On Your Soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joseph, I see your point, but I think my belief and how I understand things is of my own choice. I don't think you have to forget to forgive at all. Thanks for your comment.
      x

      Delete
  3. I bet you feel like a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders!!! This is such a beautiful post! Im going to be checking in on you girl and make sure you are relaxing and stressing less ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah another post on lent! Gonna have to like you too as I find an absence on any such topics sad. Catholics can be bloggers too :) I'm giving up sweet things & giving $1 to Caritas Appeal box for every sweet I say no to :) I am taking up 30 mins of spiritual reading a day. " my Life with the saints" by James Martin is stunning me.
    THERESA VOSSEN QLD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa for your comment, your goals are fantastic!! Thanks for liking my page! x

      Delete

Leave me a comment, I love hearing from my readers... :)