Friday, 22 April 2011

Hot cross buns recipe...

Hey guys!!
Well Friday marks the start of the 'Easter long weekend' - I think everyone was looking forward to this 'extra long weekend' (as in Australia Anzac day falls on the Monday so we get an extra public holiday on Tuesday - WOO HOO!!) Anyway I hope ya'll planning to pop down to your local fish & chip shop for some Good Friday sea food (remember no red meat!!) Anyway, today (Friday) at some very early hour (about 6:20am) Trent, my Dad & 2 little brothers headed out west (to Tara) to go pig hunting... Well that just leaves me & Mum. And I thought I would be a nice fiance'/daughter/sister & make the boys some yummy baked goods to take on their 'adventure'... (Seriously though how spoilt are they!! Baked goods on a hunting trip!) So I made some chocolate choc-chip muffins, shortbread & I also attempted to make from scratch hot cross buns!!
I thought as an Easter gift to all of you I would share the recipe I used (it's no big secret or anything I just found it on Google, but I will add in notes etc.)


Hot Cross Buns...
From this recipe I got 17 buns. But I could have made smaller ones & got more!


Ingredients


  • 4 cups plain flour
  • 2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
  • 1/4 cup caster sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups currants *I used sultanas, because I like them better. But you could use anything really - even chocolate chips!!*
  • 40g butter
  • 300ml milk *I totally read this as 30ml of milk, I realised my mistake when I noticed the mixture was a bit dry... LOL BLONDE moment!!*
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Lets get started :)  - By the end of the day this BLACK shirt was white & disgusting from baking LOL. I felt just like a baker!!
Flour paste


  • 1/2 cup plain flour
  • 4 to 5 tablespoons water
Glaze
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons caster sugar
Method


Mix flour, yeast, sugar, mixed spice, salt and currants in a large bowl.
All the dry ingredients together....

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add milk. Heat for 1 minute, or until lukewarm.
Milk and butter on the stove top...

Lightly whisk 2 eggs together.
Add warm milk mixture and eggs to currant mixture.
Add the wet stuff to the dry stuff :)
 Use a flat-bladed knife to mix until dough almost comes together.
Use clean hands to finish mixing to form a soft dough. *Beware it is super sticky!!!*
You have to knead & work the dough for like 10 minutes. It's very tiring!!
Mixture in the bowl!
My hand looking diseased!!!
Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth. Place into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until dough doubles in size.
Stage 1
Stage 2... Getting bigger!!
Stage 3.... After 1 1/2 hours!
Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
Punch dough down to its original size.
Punch the dough!! I just  pretended it was someone I didn't really like!!
Flattened out!!
Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.*By now it really isn't that stick, it's kind of like working with cookie dough!!*
I like to put grease proof paper down & flour it so it protects my kitchen table & it's a little more hygienic!
Work the dough until it is smooth...
 Divide into even portions. Shape each portion into a ball.
Place balls onto lined tray, about 1cm apart.
I could've made even more smaller ones because they get pretty big!!!
Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 30 minutes, or until buns double in size.
Preheat oven to 190°C.


Make flour paste:
Mix flour and water together in a small bowl until smooth, adding a little more water if paste is too thick.
Make the flour paste!

Spoon into a small snap-lock bag. Snip off 1 corner of bag.

When the hot cross buns have increased in size or have been sitting for 30 minutes, unwrap them.
Pipe flour paste over tops of buns to form crosses.
Mine are a bit messy!!!
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until buns are cooked through.
In the oven for 20 - 25 minutes... They smell really really good!!

Make glaze:
Place water and sugar into a small saucepan over low heat.
 Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
Take buns out of oven when they are done. (should be brown/golden color!)
An intelligent thing to do here is to place grease proof paper under the cooling rack so when you glaze them it doesn't go all over your stove top/bench.... I was not this smart LOL
Brush warm glaze over warm hot cross buns.
Yummy....

Serve warm or at room temperature.
Enjoy...
I was honestly skeptical whether or not they would taste any good - they are brilliant. I am such a pig I ate 2 with butter straight out of the oven...YUMMY...
These are the 3 things I baked. 17 hot cross buns, 15 chocolate choc chip muffins & about 50 shortbread stars!! All for the guys to go out hunting!!
Shortbread stars - that recipe can be found HERE
Yummm double chocolate muffins!!!
All packed up to go out hunting...  ** Note - I did keep one box of hot cross buns for Mum & me! LOL


** I know these photos are dodgy, but I'm having some computer issues & my big lovely camera takes photos that take up waaayyy to much room on my PC so I used my iPhone & my little camera!! Sorry & I ran out of time to write 'Bella In Bindyland...' on them but please do not copy. All work is my own! :)

Ok guys, well this recipe worked for me (well they aren't perfect looking - but they taste amazing, so soft & yummy on the inside!! First attempt & not a bad result!!). And if you happen to be bored on Good Friday or Easter Saturday, give this recipe a go & let me know how it works for you. It's not that hard, just a little time consuming (waiting for the dough to rise etc.) But it's fun, a bit messy, but pretty darn simple!! And if you are visiting family or friends on Easter Sunday they will be impressed by your cooking abilities!!
So let me know how you go with them!!
Good luck & I wish you all a happy, safe & gorgeous Easter long weekend!!
I love you all...
XoXo.
B.
Happy Easter. hehehehe... I loovee chocolate bunnies!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, yum......hope the boys enjoyed them on their hunting trip.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, I love hearing from my readers... :)