Thursday, 24 March 2011

Elizabeth Taylor 1932 - 2011. A star not a celebrity!

Hey readers,
Well I have some bad news to break to you all....
I was just about to switch my laptop off tonight after I did my final Twitter check, but then I noticed something shocking in the 'trending topics'. R.I.P Elizabeth Taylor! Surely not I thought, I quickly Googled it (as Twitter sometimes has lots of false death tweets) & surely enough there was a news article confirming this fabulous woman's death. She was 79 years young & died of heart complications (congestive heart failure) at Cedars-Sinai a popular Los Angeles hospital. So Rest in peace Elizabeth. (Feb 27 1932 - March 23 2011)
Now if you aren't familiar with who Elizabeth Taylor is, well I am sorry but we are not friends. Her name has stared at me every morning I put my make up on from since when I was about 16/17 when I got my first expensive bottle of perfume from Mum & Dad. My Mum has always wore 'White Diamond' perfume, it's a smell that if I smell it somewhere I instantly think of my Mum. Now I do wear other perfumes, but 'White Diamond' has always stood proudly amongst them & it's gold box always stands out. I remember being a really little girl & watching Mum get ready if we were going out & she would use her fancy perfume with the "diamonds" around the lid & I thought she was so fancy and she would tell me about Elizabeth with her extravagant jewellery & her long list of husbands. And if I was lucky she would give us a little squirt of the perfume. It's just memories like that, that I really love.
Anyway, Elizabeth Taylor didn't just make perfumes. She is the Queen of Old Hollywood. She got her start when she was a beautiful child actress in her first movie 'There's one born every minute' when she was 10 years old. Her beautiful eye lashes were so long that makeup director thought they were false! She was a Hollywood glamour, her violet-blue eyes are dark hair & arched eyebrows are something I consider absolute beauty. She went onto star in many more famous movies.
Taylor is also famous for her long list of marriages (8 marriages in total, she married one man, Richard Burton twice!). Now recently Elizabeth Taylor has recently made no movies (her last being in 2001 a TV movie 'Old Broads') but she has spent decades raising millions of dollars for Aids & HIV research & foundations. Her family respects her charity work & ask instead of cards & flowers money be donated to the Elizabeth Taylor Aids foundation.
Elizabeth Taylor won many awards a short list being; 2 Oscars, A.F.I 'Lifetime Achievement Award', 3 BAFTAs, 4 Golden Globes and there are many more to name. It is fair to say she was more than that woman out of Cleopatra with a ton of jewellery and a bunch of ex-husbands. She was really something special. 
She has been sick for the past decade in 2004 she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure (which is where the heart is to weak to pump blood around the body & to other vital organs & to the lower part of your body). She has survived life threatening pneumonia twice, skin cancer, having a benign brain tumour removed & has had both hips replaced. She has also had her back broken 5 times, this I assume is because she has publicly said she was born with scoliosis. Doctors were possibly trying to correct her spine. (This is a fact I found the other year & to me is very interesting, as I have the same terrible problem. Everyone has something wrong with them & mine is my spine is twisted. Big deal, so was Elizabeth Taylor's!) and as she became older it made her public appearances more difficult & was seen out less & sometimes in wheel chairs. She had heart surgery in October of 2009 which she Tweeted about saying she was having a 'leaky valve repaired' & that it went perfectly.
So I will stop going on with a bunch of facts, because lets face it, if you wanted to know that you would go to Wikipedia. But tonight (well this morning it is 1:40am as I type) it is fair to say we have lost a true Hollywood Star. She is now up in heaven with her dear friend Michael Jackson... 
So now I leave you with a few quotes & pictures from the inspirational Elizabeth Taylor... She had some pretty good quotes, one I have loved for such a long time & actually edited a photo 3 years ago with it was 'Big girls, need big diamonds'. I love it.
My edited photo from back when I was 20... I think she makes every woman/girl realise that we don't need to settle. We can do it on our own, we can have beautiful things, we can have the man we want & damn it if he is not good enough, we will find someone who is!

  • You find out who your real friends are when you’re involved in a scandal. (she had her fair share of scandals & stood by good friend Michael Jackson in his scandal as well).

  • I am a very committed wife. And I should be committed too - for being married so many times.
  • I don't pretend to be an ordinary housewife.
  • I don't think President Bush is doing anything at all about Aids. In fact, I'm not sure he even knows how to spell Aids.
  • I've been through it all, baby, I'm mother courage
  • If someones dumb enough to offer me a million dollars to make a picture, I'm certainly not dumb enough to turn it down.
  • When people say, 'She's got everything', I've got one answer - I haven't had tomorrow.
  • My mother says I didn't open my eyes for eight days after I was born, but when I did, the first thing I saw was an engagement ring. I was hooked.
  • I'm a survivor - a living example of what people can go through and survive.
Photos of Elizabeth Taylor: (Please note: I DO NOT own any of these... credit goes to all the photographers, these were just found by a simple Google search)!
10 year old Elizabeth.
Elizabeth at 13.
She is just so beautiful, ahh I wish I could look like this!!!
Her gorgeous blue-violet eyes were often dubbed one of her main 'trade marks'
Elizabeth as Cleopatra...
White Diamonds, the fragrance dreams are made of...
One of the most famous photos of her and Michael.
Elizabeth and Michael.
I think she always looks so stunning...
Even as she got older she still took pride in her appearance. Always covered in beautiful jewels & always had on her lipstick. I pray that when I get to be old that I too still care for myself enough to make that effort, to do those little things to make me feel pretty.

Elizabeth you weren't just a celebrity you were a star. You are now with Michael & I pray you have found happiness.
My thoughts are with Elizabeth's children & their families.
Once again remember that her family has asked in lieu of flowers & cards you make a financial donation to the Elizabeth Taylor Aids Foundation.
Elizabeth today I will proudly spritz on the last few drops of my White Diamond perfume. (I plan to buy some more on Friday).
Thank you for being a beauty inspiration & a true star.
XoXo.
B.


1 comment:

Leave me a comment, I love hearing from my readers... :)