Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Valentines Day 2011. Baking, love & pets.

So today is Valentines Day in America (it was yesterday for us). The day single people dread & extra pressure is put on couples to produce outstanding displays of affection. I think it's a little over rated. I'm a firm supporter of the point 'why only celebrate loving each other once a year'? I like to do special things for Trent all the time, not just on Valentines day. But I always make an effort to get him a card & do something sweet for him. This Valentines Day, I baked him some 'sweet heart cupcakes'... Very tasty. We didn't do huge gifts this year as we did just buy our first home & are paying for some of our wedding & we are planning our honeymoon... So I wasn't expecting any gifts really (pretty much because Trent is paying for my very expensive but VERY beautiful wedding dress...). So just small, sweet things this year for us.
Speaking of sweet things I got given a sweet little keyring with a 'B' on it & a fiance' Valentine Card... very cute. Thank you Trent, I love you.xx
Anyway I figured I would do a quick tutorial on the cupcakes I made. They are only 'packet mix' cakes, but still very yummy & cute. They are by White Wings & are called the 'Sweetheart choc-vanilla cupcakes'...
Anyway lets start off with my outfit for the day; it was nothing over the top or fancy (pretty much because Trent was sleeping the whole day as he had night shift that night...)
Outfit was pretty much something I wear almost everyday a shirt & shorts...
But I 'valentined it up' by wearing a pale pink polo and pale denim shorts (pastel colors are always more romantic) Anyway the polo shirt is a Ralph Lauren shirt & the shorts are from Supre' a few years ago. I don't recommend them really, they kind of haven't held there shape like the ones I've bought from City Beach have... But at Supre' I guess you get what you pay for, I really don't shop there anymore... I kind of can't stand the place Lol.
My hair was done by not washing out my pin curls from the day before & then just brushing it all into a high pony tail... I think it looks cute...
I 'valentined up' the whole outift with a cute bow... Like it? I love it!! (it's from Diva a few years ago, they always have cute hairbows in the little girl section...)
I had to give some lovings to the most unlovable creature in our house. Seriously, all I wanted was a damn snuggly cat. I get the most independant, snuggle hating pussy cat around!? What the hell!!
In the spirit of being cute on Valentines Day, I thought I would wear this adorable apron I got for Christmas as a gift off of Trents Mum... Isn't it beautiful!! I love it... I love how aprons make me feel, they are so lady like & gorgeous... They make baking more fun...
make up for the day was really simple, pretty much just my normal routine, but I did some pink colors on my eyes instead of brown/golds...
Ok cake time... To start off with you need one of these from your local grocery store.. (Or you could make your own from scratch & just buy the 'love heart' decorations and do them yourself... I was just to lazy) Lol. So set your oven to the pre-heat temperature (I think it was like 180 degrees celcius...)
All the things you will need, standard stuff for packet cake mix, eggs, butter, milk, mixing bowl & wooden spoon (I normally am lazy and use my mix master, but Trent was sleeping & I didn't want to wake him & my arms got a good work out...) measuring spoons, measuring jug/cup & a muffin tray....
Get the cake mix out of the box (make sure you take everything out of the box, I normally use the box as a little bin for the egg shells, empty packets etc... I nearly threw out the little love hearts as they were all the way down the bottom of the box!! :(
I always crack my eggs first in the jug, so if one is gross or has shell in it it's easier to fix than having egg shell all in the cake mix. Anyway, try to choose to normal size eggs, I opened my egg carton and look at that huge monster I found. I just picked two small brown eggs, that doesn't even look like a chicken egg. I was afraid I would crack it and a baby something would fall out (crocodile, turkey, goose, unicorn, alien etc)...
see eggs in a clear jug = a lot easy to scoop out shell or random gross things that sometimes appear in eggs.
Pour the milk in... I really like my Pyrex jug. It's got all the measurements I need on it & clear which makes measuring easier...
soft butter or margarine time... I was just using margarine spread in the mix... Seem to make no difference (as I normally use butter.)
So stir the cake mix (or if you are smart pop it in the mix master...) I don't know how people stirred things before a mix master came along. My arm was aching!! & Then I had to stir the icing & that's even harder!!! But anyway mix together & combine all the ingredients... Try not to eat too much cake mix, it's so damn tasty though...
Spoon the mixture into the muffin papers (or into a greased muffin pan)... I always make some slightly bigger ones, some medium ones & some smaller ones... As I like to have a smaller one & let Trent have the big ones...
Pop them into the oven for 20-25 minutes... :)
My favourite part of baking, licking the bowl & spoon!!
In the oven... Please excuse the filthy oven racks...
Out of the oven... So hard not to eat them straight out of the oven...
Once they are cool, pop them into an airtight container & start preparing the icing... Sorry I didn't get any photos of me doing the icing, it was exhausting. Lol. It was basically the packet icing mixture & soft butter...
Base icing done... Now you could just sprinkl the love hearts on them (I find it easier to put the sprinkles/whatever you have on a plate and dip the cakes into the plate to collect the sprinkles...)
The simple cupcakes.... I think they look cute!!
I love these cupcakes, I am very proud of them.. Obviously I like them, I took like a billion photos of them!! Lol
Daisy loving her new Valentines present from her lover Duke...
Mishkas gift from Duke, I didn't get any photos of her playing with it. I did get some video though, I'll try & upload a little later on (?)
Our B-eautiful Valentines Day gifts. I got him a fiance' card & made him those cupcakes & he got me a fiance' card (so similar!!) & a cute key chain (as I need one for OUR house keys)... We only did small things as we are kind of wanting to go on a honeymoon but we are just trying to plan where!?

Well my loves, hope your Valentines Day was beautiful, even if you didn't have a 'special lover'... Be your own, when I was single I use to buy myself something nice (normally shoes)... & just remember I love you all...
Today is my Mums birthday (15-2-2011)... So once again Happy Birthday Mummsie (check out her birthday blog HERE)
Thanks for reading...
XoXo.
B.



2 comments:

Leave me a comment, I love hearing from my readers... :)