Monday, 24 January 2011

Back to school for the minions of Australia. BLOG 99!!

Hello!
Ok so all across Australia most parents are happily sending their offspring back to school thanking God the summer holidays are over & then there are the group of parents who are a little sad about today as their tiny little children are venturing out in the big world on their own for perhaps the first time (prep, grade 1). Aww I remember my little brothers all cute & proud in their big school uniforms... I remember my first day of grade 1 at St. Marys Primary in Ipswich. The little grade 1 chairs were to high for me & I needed help being pushed in (the boy beside me helped me...). But my very first school was Minden State School & my first library book was 'Belinda the Cow'... LOL...
I honestly didn't enjoy school that much... I loved my childhood as I have previously said, growing up on a farm is the best experience any kid can ever hope for (when we have kids, we would love a bigger place with a few acres so we can have some more pets. I just don't understand how you can grow up without pets... No offence). I thank my parents for giving us such a great place to grow up & live. Anyway back to the 'back to school' blog... Now I've been recently polling the readers on this blog (if you haven't taken the survey go to it... It's on the right side bar, see the pink rectangle  --->>) & I've noticed some of my readers have listed as 'students' as their occupation (could be uni kids as well) & some are under the age of 17... So keeping in the spirit of 'back to school' I thought I would give you a quick insight on my school life...
  • So my senior grade 12 subjects at Blackwater State High were, English, Art (O.P elective art), Multi-Strand science, Biology, H.P.E, Maths A (which I hated, I am terrible at maths) - I think that's all. Through out school I also studied, Spanish (gr 8 & 9), Legal Studies, Chemistry, Maths B & C (epic fails), Drama (loved it).....
  • Well the main thing you need in school is your supplies... So I recommend some good pens (not super expensive cool ones, people will borrow them or break them) I found Bic pens from the grocery store to last long... I loved connector pens from grade 1-12. I still own some, a yellow highlighter (other colors are pretty, but yellow doesn't show up if you make a photocopy of your work). Pencils, colored & lead, it's sometimes easier to write things in lead first then pen later (i.e; mapping, headers, drafting essays etc). And you know, get the basic school stuff...
  •  Now I seem to have a short attention span & got bored very easily in class (mainly maths...) So to keep myself occupied I made myself really cool personalised notebooks (seriously I love them so much I can't bare to throw them out... Grade 12 for me was the year of 'cool note books'... Anyway here are some pictures... *** Oh massive tip if you are going to do this, invest in some high quality clear contact, do NOT buy from the cheap store... It will peel & go like cling wrap. It's shit. Get the good stuff...***
So these note books are fairly standard everyday A4 spiral bound note books, I just basically collect pictures/stickers/article/advertisements that are quirky, interest me, make me laugh etc over the course of the year/a few months. Then when school starts I collage them onto each notebook.
  • For my school diary I make it a bit more personal, reflecting the taste I have that year, who I am etc (now I know a lot of schools don't allow their diaries to be decorated, maybe put a cool sticker in the cover or use colored pens to fill out your details or tie a ribbon to the spine so you can flip to each week easily... But make it your own).
Grade 11.
Grade 12.
  • And each year since about grade 9 I've done a 'friend books'. It started off as 'Bindys Bitches & Babes Book' & then kind of just tamed down to 'Confessions of Bindy'. It was basically my journal I took to school, my friends wrote in it, I stuck pictures in it, put clippings from magazines. Basically anything I wanted to remember went in the book. I love & treasure them so much. And they were quiet popular often in class the girls would like to flip through them & write something or just read it....
  • Now attitude at school is also important. Everyone studies different just like everyone can learn things at different stages. I seemed to be lucky, I could listen in class & maybe re-read my notes a few times, do assignments the night before (I don't recommend doing that) & managed to pass (in some classes, just passed *cough* maths *cough). But I think it's a good idea to take notes in class & then so they are clearer to read for studying to go home & type them out. That way not only are you re-reading the information that day you are typing it. Repeating information in different ways helps your brain to remember facts easier (i.e - reading it out loud, reading it in your head, re-writing it, typing it... all this helps imprint the facts into your brain...)
  • Attitude at school also works with how you treat people. I was definitely not the most popular person at school. Pretty much because if I didn't like something or someone was mean I wasn't going to be quiet. I was pretty mean, I couldn't fight (that was proven the few times I got in them) but I was a smart ass. I kind of wish looking back I just let it all go & just rode with flow of school instead of getting so caught up in the 'bitchiness' but oh well. I think now looking back I wish I would've followed the old saying; treat others how you wish to be treated. Instead of being mean to someone who is mean to you, pity them & ignore them. Seriously people (especially teenage girls) only hate other people because they are jealous. Sure stick up for yourself but don't go out of your way to be mean. Don't stress about guys, they are so replaceable & just another lame part of high school. I know this is so much easier saying it now that I'm not there, but really. Just enjoy what you can of school & really take nothing to seriously. At the end of the day you probably wont speak to most of your high school 'friends', your high school 'love' probably will turn into a fat, tattooed, repulsive pig, your 'OP' won't really matter. If you don't get the OP you needed it's not the end of the world, just do a side course that you can use then to get into your 'dream course'. I'm not encouraging you not to study for the OP (not that you can for that stupid actual test) but do not stress over it. Whatever happens, happens for a reason. And use your common sense, if you have a thought running through your head (should I do this? What will I say about this in 5 years? etc) do NOT do it. I wish I would've realised this sooner rather than later... But at the end of the day, it's only school
  • And do not stress the friend situation when you start school, because pretty much by the time grade 11 & 12 roll around everyone's over everything & everyone pretty much gets on & if you don't get along with them in the senior years, big deal. Less than 2 years & you never have to see them again.
  • Now uniform, most Australian schools are very strict on uniforms. I wasn't a fan of the public school polo shirt & black shorts thing. I did grade 8 & 9 at a private all girls school 'St. Marys College in Ipswich', our uniform was a maroon knee length skirt, white blouse, knee high white socks & brown shoes - I still think this is such a nice school uniform. Middlemount (grade 10) was a yellow/blue colored polo shirt with blue shorts/skirt. I wore a skirt, I like skirts. Girls Grammar in Rocky (grade 11) was the most ugly uniform ever. Like green/blue/white tartan with black shoes. It was atrocious & we had to wear name badges (it was compulsory). Then my final school Blackwater State High (grade 11 & 12) was the school polo shirt & black shorts. Well I wore a skirt to start with, not a wise choice. People who have grown up in small towns tend to not embrace change... So the taunts started... Kids are so nice. But then I started wearing my black football shorts & well that's my uniform history...
  • But my tips for uniforms is try to add a little of you to the uniform, personalise it. Weather it's a colorful ribbon, a badge, a scarf etc..  I highly suggest a cool pair of sunnies, if they don't let you wear them, tell them you are being sun smart & you don't want eye cancer & schools are sometimes lenient if you wear those rubber fundraising bands, I use to like to wear some cool foundation that I support (deaf foundation, RSPCA etc) In winter I use to wear jeans to Blackwater High, this was frowned upon but I just got Mum to write me a note... She rocked like that...
  • Now hair in school, most schools don't allow long hair to be left down... By grade 12 I just wore mine down... But a cute fishtail braid is always cool & looks like it took some effort (let me know if you would like a tutorial on it...) actually I think any braid/plait is good just sweep it to the side it looks a little more 'glam'. In grade 9/10 I went through a big 'messy bun' look. Grade 11 I just couldn't really care. Grade 12 I despised straight hair as every other girl loved it. So I would scrunch my hair with mousse, gel etc, leave it natural if I was to lazy... Or it would be put in a pony tail, braid, bun... I am not a fan of straightened hair (unlike every other girl) not only is it terrible for your hair, curls are cooler...
Take this advice however you like. Even if you take one little tip from this blog, that will be awesome. If you did go back to school today, how was it? Let me know... I hope everyone had a fabulous day & it was all fun. Just remember it's seriously only school & it doesn't last forever & once it's over you wish you were back there. As school is much easier than working & being an adult. If you want to know anything else about my school life or any more tips just write a comment below. Any comments, suggestions or questions are appreciated...
love you all...
xoxo
B.
Enjoy these photos of my 'schooling life'...
These are preschool - Kindy photos... Mum always made sure we had great costumes (Mary had a little Lamb, I was the only kid with a real lamb of course!) & our easter bonnets/baskets were fantastic... I am wearing a pink hard hat, as my Dad is a coal miner & he got me a few...
Minden State School Grade 1...
St. Marys Primary School...
Farm life for me was better than going to school. Having a farm = lots of cute baby animals like my pet goat Giggles... And animals tend not to be assholes. They don't care if you don't wear the coolest clothes or if you don't drink alcohol when you are 12 (yes there were kids that drank alcohol in grade 7 & talked about sex) I was pretty damn innocent for the majority of my life...
St. Marys College - Grade 9.
Middlemount Community School. Art class with my best friend Ali in grade 10.
In grade 10 at Middlemount we did parenting classes. This was when I was taking my baby back. LOL. But this is an example of the 'messy bun' style I was talking about...
Rockhampton Girls Grammar school. Yeah that was loads of fun...*note sarcasm*
OOO I look very pleased here...
Grade 12 Senior Investiture...
\
OOO I was such a happy cheerful student, nothing beats walking to class in sweltering heat in Central QLD.
More advice - seriously take photos as much as you can. Photos are the things that will hold memories for you when you can't remember the 'finer details'....
The school photo I am most proud of... After years of 'ugly awkward' school pictures (everyone goes through their ugly growing stage... You are lying if you say you didn't). My final one in grade 12, I think I look great... I love this photo...
My uniform for Grade 12 at Blackwater High. School Polo shirt, Black Football shorts, Colored socks, Skate shoes, cool sunglasses (don't be a dickhead & wear expensive ones to school, they will get broken or stolen), charity arm bands, white gold bracelet & earrings, watch & my hair was natural that day (well the color wasn't LOL)
Me being very studious... As I was the worlds brainiest kid. LOL
Wow I was a delightful student... Teachers loved me. (no really I was pretty well behaved...) But honestly do not let teachers scare you. They will seem like the meanest people in grade 8/9 but by the time senior year rolls around they actually are decent people...
I always tried to be on the debating/mooting teams... I didn't enjoy mooting (this is where we are here) But I LOVED debating... I think I was pretty good at it :)
This is most of my senior class at 'Senior Camp'... Can you spot me?  I'm on the left side towards the centre wearing a white singlet, 2nd row - kneeling...
some snaps from my senior year....

xoxo.
B.




1 comment:

  1. You have shared really informative and interesting post i will like to say thanks and also request you to keep post that kind of stuff in your more posts.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, I love hearing from my readers... :)