Wednesday, 29 September 2010

Paddington Melon update - 27.09.2010

Paddy my little swamp wallaby/black pademelon is getting bigger each day (& wanting to sleep less at night – his nocturnal nature is definitely shining through!)... He is now over 2.2kg! This is a big boy to be carrying around every day in a pouch & he is also wanting to get outside more & more each day (I do take him out, but hold onto him whilst he grazes on grasses but I don’t have a secure-wallaby proof fences *they need to be like 6foot or have a wire roof as they can bound over most fencing) but to me keeping him indoors most of the time is cruel! So I made the heart-breaking phone call to the next carer who is going to be taking care of him as she has better facilities for wallabies than I do (like a wallaby run so he can go outside freely). And we have come to an agreement that in about 2 ½ weeks (mid October) he will go down to his new ‘home’. So that is a little sad... But it is what is best for the little fella... We also have made a new development with Paddy he laps his milk out of bowl!! This makes feed time a billion times easier and safer than the bottle (even though he still likes to attack my legs when I fix the formula for him). But for now and the next 2 weeks I will just enjoy my time with the little guy. I know saying goodbye to him is going to be very hard and I will more than likely shed a few tears but doing this now will mean he will become a more independent and stronger wallaby and will survive in the wild better and adapt more quickly. I wish I could pack him a little back-pack with his food bowl, pouch, little treats and a map back to me, but I can’t... So I will try my hardest to be strong and hand him over to this new carer (she seems so lovely, her and her husband are caring for a few wallabies at the moment, so hopefully Paddington will fit in). Another thing Paddy enjoys doing at the moment is attacking poor Mishka, the poor thing (I personally think she cannot wait to be the only ‘indoor animal’ again). So here are of some of the latest photos of Mr. Paddington – Melon...
 
 
Paddy chewing on a stick!
Drinking milk from a bowl!!
Some 'mid-skip' photos!
Sleeping in the car on my arm.
Love.
Paddy & I
I wonder where Paddy is... Sometimes he is good at 'hide&seek' other times he sucks!
My beautiful little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, I love hearing from my readers... :)