Monday, 8 March 2010

Alice In Wonderland - Frabjous or not so?

Starting with a quote slightly altered from the Mad Hatter – 'You are terribly late (to read my blog) you know, naughty!'
Alice in Wonderland. Bella in Bindyland. I compare my life to that movie, simply because sometimes in my life I look at it and think WOW I really sometimes feel like I am in another reality – it bounces from one extreme to another sometimes. Or perhaps it was because I can easily just drift off and daydream into Bindyland... la la la squirrels.
Anyway I attended the 3D screening for Alice In Wonderland by Tim Burton – LOVED IT. Was awesome... I’ve never really seen 3D movies before so for me this was quite the experience. (Minus the fact those 3D glasses really hurt my ears and made my eyes quite sore after the movie... maybe I am not that “cool” that I am immune to sore eyes after 3D movies yet? Who knows)... The movie was quite good; though perhaps I saw it through rose coloured glasses instead of 3D ones (I had very high hopes as this is one of my favourite stories) I do wish Burton had kept in some more of the “Wonderland” qualities of the previous... As for me the movie was perhaps just a little too dark at times. I loved the original for its bright, happy feeling it gave me and the sense there can be another dreamland out there (well in your mind there can be, depending on your drug intake)... I love the scene when they are in the garden and the “rocking horse” flies are flying around and into the audience (via 3D)... That to me is the magic that is Wonderland... The whole darkness caused by the Red Queen (who was one of the most well acted characters) did make a good story but it would have been fun to see the happiness bought back to Wonderland after the White Queen regains the crown (Sorry spoiler I know, but come on it is a Disney movie – they are always predictable)... i.e. – Another tea party scene in the colourful garden (my favourite scenes are always the tea party ones)... I really loved the Hare at the tea party just his appearance was so amazing to me as was his crazy over the top actions. Johnny Depp played the mad hatter well but at some points his character was confusing, his makeup was brilliant! The character of Alice was also well played by Mia Wasikowska (an Aussie!!)... I think she was just perfect for the part – she had quite an “Alice” look about her, but I don’t know if she has done any other previous roles, as in some scenes she just seemed a little dull... But in others she rocked it... Maybe it was from poor direction!? However the one character I really didn’t like sadly enough was the White Queen played by Anne Hathaway, the reason being I just personally didn’t like her in this movie – it’s hard to say why, possibly because I felt she over acted it – I loved her performance in the kitchen when she was making the drink for Alice (which totally hypocrisies her whole “peace and love” charade she has going... Just pay attention to the ingredients she uses, like WTF?) But apart from that, it just wasn’t the best character I’ve seen her play. But hey I am not a film critic it’s just how I felt... The movie was quite good, but I think I still would’ve loved to see the original story redone in the similar style I think that would be just wonderful... The lovely innocent (ok maybe not so innocent if the writer really was on “mind stimulants”) original Disney cartoon movie version... I just think maybe, Burton was a bit ambitious and tried to put his own spin too heavily on an already brilliant classic... I did really enjoy the movie, but to me it wasn’t the Alice In Wonderland I really loved, which was the fantasy garden tea party which kind of has been replaced by more of a gothic and slightly over done dark land feel which kind of had a Narnia feel to the whole movie (and I really am not a great fan of the Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe). I am almost cringing at the thought of a sequel hinted at in the last moments of the movie – as we all know sequels often are the death of a movie and this is one movie/story I would dread seeing ruined...
I found the presence of these two key characters in the last movie almost like a waste of time, they weren't funny and to me quite lame.

The Red Queen: I need a pig here!
 [Live pig is slid under her feet]
The Red Queen: I love a warm pig belly for my aching feet.
- Love that quote, she was wonderful! -
One of my most favourite characters - just because of how odd he is.
The March Hare: [From trailer] You're all late for tea!
[Throws teacup] - awesome with the 3D effect.
The March Hare: I have an excellent idea, LETS CHANGE THE SUBJECT. (quote from original movie - he is just so strange and wonderful!)

Alice In Wonderland by Tim Burton. A good movie - but wasn't the movie I loved... If it had this mystical garden feel a little more through the movie I think it would have been grand... It was just a little too dark for me.


And I leave you with one of my most favourite quotes from the Original Disney Movie -
Alice - If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

I would love to know everyone else opinion on the movie so comment away!! Comments are also really appreciated on the blog... Anyway feedback is awesome... So please leave some!!!
B.x
(still working on a blog signature...)

Last pics; my life Bella in Bindyland (with an appearance by 'Fling' the flamingo) and some snaps of my 3D adventure with Miss Libbi.


Me and my Original Disney Flamingo all the way from America - I bought thinking my 21st would be Alice In Wonderland themed... It wasn't (decorations were much to hard to find) Now I have a  spare flamingo!?

No Duke Don't eat Fling!!! 
         
      My Flamingo and I... Kind of cute.


Fling and my Alice in Wonderland/Bella in Bindyland style shoes... So cute.

My Mad Hatter Popcorn and Coke!!
I like themed stuffed!!
                                                                      Libbi & I at Alice...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, I love hearing from my readers... :)